Saturday, October 13, 2012

Smoky Bean Vegan Wrap--Yumm!

As a child I loved being out in the rain; as a senior citizen,
not so much. Rather watch from my big window.
Our S. CA weather has finally turned into autumn. At least the kind of autumn we get in this southwestern part of the United States. It even rained yesterday and our local mountains were blessed with both rain and thunder. How I wish I'd been up there. I LOVE thunder. I think it's a throwback to my growing up in MN. Both of my sisters also love a good thunderstorm. I can't remember which parent taught us to enjoy watching the weather from the living room window, but whichever it was, they taught us to love the elements. Most native Californian's that I know are afraid of thunder. And lightning too. Sissies.

These wraps would be good hot or cold,
a perfect all season recipe.
I don't know if this happens to you, but cloudy, rainy days make me think of winter food, even if it is only autumn. So I searched my vegan cookbooks for a quick and easy supper that would make my tummy happy and not involve being in the hated kitchen for very long. If you've read my blogs for very long, you know how much I detest cooking. I only do it because nobody can eat out all the time and still pay the monthly bills. At least nobody I know in my senior citizen category. So I cook. And I do not have fun while doing so. It is a necessary duty. Yuk.

My favorite canned black beans
I did my usual tweaking of the recipe to suit my spicy palette and I have to say that this is one of the  best wraps I ever tasted. I think I could serve it warm or cold and it would still be just as good--thereby making it a good summer meal too. I served a fresh fruit salad to go with it and I was full till morning. If you want, you can tweak the recipe further and add or subtract anything in your refrigerator that needs to be used. Substitute anything but the black beans. They are a must.


Lettuce and tomatoes are the basics for
any good wrap.


SMOKE AND SPICE BLACK BEAN WRAP

2 large flour tortilla wraps
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups of chopped lettuce
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 cup thawed frozen corn
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup sweet onion, small dice

Put the black beans into a microwave safe bowl and warm them for about two minutes. Add the beans to the rest of the above ingredients and mix until everything is well distributed.

Warm the tortillas in the oven or wrapped in a paper towel and placed in the microwave for about 10 seconds.

Spread each wrap liberally with the smoky sauce, fill the wrap with the above ingredients and try not to moan while you eat.

Makes 2 wraps.

SMOKE AND SPICE SAUCE

3-4 Tbs. vegan mayonnaise
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. chipotle powder (use chili powder for a substitute, but it won't be near as good)
1/8 tsp. paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 dash of Tapitio hot sauce
1/4 tsp. finely chopped garlic

This recipe can be made ahead. The longer it sits, the better it gets.




Some vegans are not fond of being in the kitchen.
That's when fast and easy recipes come in handy.

This recipe is my interpretation of one I discovered in The Happy Herbivore cookbook.








1 comment:

  1. Wow that
    was unusual. I just wrote an really long
    comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm
    not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to
    say excellent blog!
    My blog :: Divorce Lawyers

    ReplyDelete